Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My -haired cat went to the groomer yesterday and had the

Customer Question

Hi, my long-haired cat went to the groomer yesterday and had the area around his backside shaved because it tends to get very matted and messy, and I noticed these sore-looking areas of skin on his belly today. Should I be concerned about this or will it heal on its own?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Thank you for your question and this clear photo.

Just a couple of minutes as I type my response.

From the photo, it is a little tricky to decipher if these lesions are bruises, burns or areas of infected skin.

All will present similarly; with pink skin that may be warm to the touch.

It is possible that the clippers were a bit warm and/or pulled at your cat's skin, causing superficial grazing or bruising.

While we would consider a pre-existing skin infection, this is unlikely if the skin was normal directly after the groom.

Does your cat seem bothered by the lesions at all; are they trying to get to them?

Are they still playful and eating well?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He’s eating well and acting completely normal, and he doesn’t even seem to notice the lesions, I haven’t seen him licking them or anything.

Ok, that's excellent.

They may be quite superficial so.

While it is hard to tell from a photo, I would hope that these are the type of lesion that would heal promptly without intervention.

We need to monitor them closely to ensure they do not become infected. Signs of this would include a discharge, bad odour or reddening of the surrounding skin.

We also need to ensure they do not start to bother your cat, to the point where he seems unwell or is trying to get to the lesions.

It would be sensible to use some cotton wool to gently bathe the area with salt water once a night. This will also give you the chance to monitor the lesions closely, ensuring they're healing each day.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Alright, thanks! If they don’t seem to be healing, should I take him to the vet?

Absolutely, yes.

This could be a sign of a deeper lesion.

However, we'd expect them to improve a little each day and to be fully healed in about a week.

You're welcome to keep me updated and to send progress photos for me to analyse.

If there is anything else, please do let me know.

Wishing your cat all the very best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks very much for your help! I followed your recommendation of bathing the area with salt water and he didn’t seem bothered by it, which is good. I’ll keep you updated on how it heals.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Ok, excellent!