Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 10 year old cat Kitty as developed some sort of skin

Customer Question

My 10 year old cat Kitty as developed some sort of skin condition resulting in what looks like scabs and her hair falling out. She had an eye removed at the Cardiff PDSA hospital last year and in the last 2 months her daughter died in her sleeps he was 9 years old. There is no sign of any fleas or mites on her that I can see
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the kitten vomited recently? Any signs of blood in her stool?
Customer: The 9 year old daughter was being sick a few times before she died. Kitty as also been sort of coughing and snorted a few times recently
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Daisy but only Kitty was registered with the PDSA for treatment
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Kitty as also been over grooming herself and removing hair and as coughed up a few hair balls
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Kitty has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned. I'm also terribly sorry to hear about the sudden passing of her young daughter, how awful.Has Kitty had skin issues in the past?Which area of skin is worst affected?When was she last treated for parasites and which product was used?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I treat Kitty regularly with a Spot on flea treatment and comb her regularly using a tooth comb it mostly is affecting her lower back near her tail and under her chin
Thank you for this additional information.Do you know the name of the spot on?
When was it last applied?Do you have any other cats?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don’t remember the name of the treatment it was about 4 weeks ago . I don’t have another cat but a stray male cat comes in and eats any food Kitty leaves uneaten . Not sure if he is a stray or just an unfriendly cat he looks as fit as a fiddle and no fleas.
Understood, thank you.Would it be possible to send a clear photo of her affected skin?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (MQ5MZGL)
That's great, thank you.I can see the patchy fur loss and red scabs.I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (GPLM3QZ)
Kitty's signs could have several causes.We would consider a fungal or bacterial infection, mites or an allergy.However, given her age, the appearance of her skin, the location of her lesions and the there has been a stray about, this is almost certainly a flea allergy.I appreciate you don't see evidence of fleas but even a veterinary dermatologist who examined a cat in person and didn't see fleas wouldn't exclude a diagnosis of a flea allergy. The thing is, cats groom so well that they ingest the fleas so we don't always see them.While we could go down the route of running tests to check for another cause, it is sensible to rule fleas out first.This means treating both Kitty and the stray with an effective spot on, ideally one containing Imidacloprid such as Advantage. This is available without prescription.On the same day, we must treat the home as 95% of any flea burden lives in the home.This means hot washing all bedding and blankets over 60'c, hoovering daily and using a flea spray containing IGR such as Indorex or RIP Fleas.If she is still over grooming, she may need some prescription anti itch medicine from the vet to break the itch scratch cycle and allow the skin to settle.
She's beautiful by the way!

I do hope that this has helped to clear some things up.

If you have any further questions about Kitty, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Linda.