Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Felix was always a big cat. He weighed 8k the last time I

Customer Question

Felix was always a big cat. He weighed 8k the last time I went to my local PDSA, about 18 months or more ago. He has suddenly lost weight although at first I didn't realise but friends have noticed because they do not see him every day. He also sees to ha ve a protrusion on his right side at times but other times he is normal. Sorry if I am not explaining it well. I have left it because I didn't think it was serious but now I am not so sure! Can I please have an appointment to see a Vet?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 12. He came in my cat flap one Christmas and has never left!
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Felix?
Customer: I don't think so. He has never been ill as such and I have had him since he was a young cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 8 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this about Felix and appreciate your concern.Unexplained weight loss is always a concern.Does he have any other signs such as an increase in thirst, increase in hunger, lethargy or fast breathing?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he is always hungry but doesn’t always eat everything.
Ok, thank you.And do you feel his appetite has increased in the last few months?Does he pee more than before?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will wait for their call
I cannot make calls, so have declined the request.I do apologise for any inconvenience.We can continue talking via typing if that's OK?If available, another vet can also call you to discuss Felix.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will wait for their call.
As I say, they may call when available but this isn't guaranteed.Even if they call, we can continue talking via typing, as you've also paid for a written answer.Do you feel Felix's appetite and thirst are more than before?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want to speak to somebody
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want a refund of the £16 I have spent for a phone call but haven’t g go it!
This is a deposit that is taken for when a vet calls.
However, if you no longer want the call, customer services will refund you. This is no problem.As I say though, you have paid for a typed consult so please continue out conversation and I can offer my advice.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want to continue but money has already been taken from my account for a call so can I please request a refund of the £16..
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
online conversation
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think something has gone wrong with your system.
Ok, sure.Yes, the money will be automatically refunded. Please do let customer services know on your end too, to ensure the deposit is returned ASAP.Do you feel Felix's appetite and thirst are more than before?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He is the same as usual but always ate everything. Now he leaves some and goes to one of the other cats bows.
Would he let you examine his mouth for e.g. red gums, bad breath or a brown build up on his teeth?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
His thirst is the same but his appetite has increased a bit although he doesn't eat everything. He probably eats 3/4 of it.
Thank you for this additional information.And could you please check his mouth for any red gums, bad breath or calculus build up?

Hi there, were you able to see my above message?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok no sign of any
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No significa any
Ok, that's good.If unsure, you're welcome to send a photo for me to assess.Do you know roughly how much weight he has lost and if he is now under weight?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Felix's signs are a red flag for me.

Unexpected weight loss and a change in appetite could be due to e.g.

• Diabetes (common in those who have been over weight)

• Kidney disease

• Liver disease

• Pancreatitis

• Gall bladder disease

• Internal parasites

• Cancer

• Dental Disease (signs of which are not always obvious from a cursory mouth exam)

• Etc

The vet will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood and urine test.

His treatment will depend on the results, but several conditions can be well managed and even cured with medication. So a vet visit is very important.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if there is anything else,

Take care,

Linda.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.

Stay safe!