Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Cat, Has diarrhoea and won't eat, Princee and 4 years old,

Customer Question

Cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Has diarrhoea and won't eat
JA: The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Princee and 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She had a litter 3 weeks ago
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Princee is unwell and appreciate your concern.When did she stop eating?Does she seem lethargic?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Last night and not known to allergys
Are her energy levels ok?

Hello, were you able to see my question above?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She looks like has tummy pain, she gave birth 3 weeks ago
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Looks like she has tummy pains, she gave birth 3weeks ago
What signs of tummy pain is she showing?
Does she seem more sleepy than usual?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

If Princee cannot be convinced to eat, seems lethargic or is not feeding her kittens well she needs to see a vet urgently.

We'd be concerned about e.g. an internal infection, parasites or eclampsia.

The vet will examine her and may run some tests such as a blood test or imaging.

Her treatment will depend on what is found and may include e.g. antibiotics, anti inflammatories, fluids and a prescription diet.

At home, we are limited and should tempt her to eat bland food such as warm chicken and rice.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Uncomfortable sitting and last 4/5 hours just sleeping, her kittens beside her

This is a red flag.

If she cannot settle comfortably and is lethargic, she sounds to be very unwell.

I would want her seen by a vet tonight, especially given the fact she has given birth so recently.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have no ability to take her anywhere due to her babies, I willing to pay for vet to visit her

Unfortunately due to the pandemic, most vets cannot make house visits.

However, do call your local vet as they may be able to make an exception.

Having said this, you will find most vets require you to bring the cat in. This makes it a lot easier to run tests as needed.

It is normal for owners to bring in the mother and kittens altogether if any of them are unwell.

You would bring them all in the same carrier.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me see how she gets on, could be diet change, if by morning she's not better I will bring her

While an abrupt diet change may cause a mild sromach upset e.g. loose stool or gas, it sounds to me like there is more going on here.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She sleeping comfortably now, seems like her rear is drying out, very smelly though, will see by morning, if still not better ,will bring her

Bless her, hopefully she is on the mend very soon.

Do ensure she is taking in enough liquid as she is still nursing.

You may also consider some probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin.

If she has not been wormed in the last month or two, Panacur is safe to use in nursing cats and could be given.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thanks , will try getting it tomorrow, she looks comfortable for now, just hasn't eaten nothing since this morning

Do continue to offer warm and tempting options, in the hope she will be convinced to try something.

If chicken won't work, white fish or egg may be accepted.

Anything else, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Poor thing, this morning she is still dripping from rear, she tried eating, but very little,, I really need a Mobil vet to come check her, will pay for services
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear this.

You need to contact your local vet to ask if this is something that they can do.