Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My Cat has been diagnosed with FIV. Been referred to eye

My Cat has been diagnosed with FIV. Been referred to eye vet.He has uveitis with secondary lens luxation in one eye.With pressure in both eyes. We are now using eye suspension which has reduced the pressure in both eyes. I don't want our cat ZIGGY to be in pain. Personally from reading I would like lens removed. We have discussed surgery to remove lens which the vet is against doing because of complications with this op on a cat. Any advice please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the cat's eye start hurting?
Customer: About 2 months ago.
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: He does go out and he is only taking Eye suspension
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ziggy 6yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Piggy?
Customer: Ziggy no

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline. I cannot do phone calls. Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I may have more questions. I will be answering multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

Was it the veterinary ophthalmologist that recommended against surgery?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Dr. Cynthia yes he explained that he does not like doing this operation in cats as it is more complicated than operating on a dog.

I cannot do phone calls. Would you like to continue here with text?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Should I push for surgery. I do not want my cat in pain

I am sorry to hear of Ziggy's condition and I commend you for caring for him and seeking the best options for his treatment. There are a number of factors that play into whether the eye surgery is a good option for Ziggy. The expectation of success with the procedure is only as good as the surgeon doing it. If the surgeon has discouraged the procedure that is telling. Also with his FIV status you know that Ziggy is more prone to infections. When you open that inflamed eye you risk a nightmare of complications far worse than what he is dealing with now.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Exactly what my vet said. I believe the luxation will eventually cause blindness so would it be better to remove the eye now to save the cat being in pain.

If Ziggy has no vision in the affected eye it could be removed now to alleviate pain. If he has vision I would not remove the eye. He could lose the other for some reason and lose his only chance at vision, even if blurry.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok thank you for your advice.

You are very welcome. I hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!