Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

My kitten is 11 weeks old and i find her imitating that she

Customer Question

My kitten is 11 weeks old and i find her imitating that she is getting breast feeding on my fluffy throws and robe. She is just sucking them like they were her mum I suppose. Is this something i should be concerned or is she going to grow it out?
Many thanks,
Lilla
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 months ago.
Hello there! Is it cotton based items she is sucking on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can’t really tell to be honest, definitely mixed material

Ok. Give me a minute to type a detailed response.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks a lot!

In kittens you can see wool suckers or cotton suckers. It is not common but does occur. Kittens will seek out the material and nurse on it non stop. This is similar to a child sucking their thumb. Most kittens will outgrow it on their own. The main concern is ingestion of strings from the material which can cause a blockage. I would discourage the behavior when you see it and give her attention to distract her.  Hopefully as she gets older she will lose interest in the behavior but I have seen it last in cats up to a year of age.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh wow! Okay, yes I’ve been trying to distract her so far. Will won’t let her (well try my best so)
Thanks so much

You are very welcome. Good Luck!