Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is displaying very worrying territorial issue’s he is

Customer Question

My cat is displaying very worrying territorial issue’s he is attacking another cat and causing it to be hurt I am trying very hard to keep them separate but I’m wondering if anything can be done. He is neutered and has always been an outdoor cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this aggression?
Customer: We have a neighbour who insists even after being asked on several occasions to not feed the cats dreamies from her window persists doing this for probably the last 7-8 months and that is how long it has been going on before that my cat although out all the time was never in the garden now he spends all his time when out under her window to get the treats and fights with the other cat for dominance I am at my wits end I do not want to see either cat rehired or my cat have to be put to sleep
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with his aggression?
Customer: what can I try I’m open to suggestions he is not aggressive at home
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is about 7 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Leo?
Customer: not really indoors he is loving although I do have another male cat that he sometimes bullies but he has learnt to just stay away from him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 21 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for the situation.Is the fighting only associated with that area / the treats?Does he fight many cats or just one?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It does seem to be in the garden anywhere now he can be a bit of a bully to my other male cat but the main one is a youngster that only arrived on the scene about a year ago
I cannot personally make phone calls but can continue talking via typing if that's OK.
Is the youngster neutered?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
In that case can you refund the money for the phone call thank you
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
the other male is neutered
any deposit taken will be refunded as the call was declined. 

In a situation like this, the first thing to do is to remove any source of contention. The person feeding the treats needs to stop. While they think they're doing something nice, they're putting both cats at risk of serious injury.I'd leave a letter (or talk to her if comfortable doing so) explaining this. If she continues, it consider contacting the rspca, simply so they can explain to her why she needs to stop.

I'd also contact the owner of the other cat if you can . You can work out a schedule so they're not outside at the same time.

You can also put a bell on your cat's collar so the other cat always knows he's approaching and can retreat quickly when needed.

How does this all sound?

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Linda.