Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has a potential tumour on his liver, fluid sample has

Customer Question

Hi my cat has a potential tumour on his liver, fluid sample has been taken and waiting on the results. He's lost weight, I'm desperate not to lose him, is there anything I can be doing to help build him back up?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the cat had this tumor?
Customer: He's a long haired generally big cat so to me he just looked normal and I thought he was just bloated after eating. He started dribbling three days ago so I took him to the vet thinking he had toothache and she went straight to his abdomen saying it's not right
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Reggie and he's 12 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Reggie?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm so sorry to hear this and understand you must be very worried.Sadly, if it is cancer, it can be impossible to get a cat to put fat and muscle back on as the tumour consumes the calories.Also, if the liver isn't functioning as it should, food won't be getting digested properly.I'd ensure he's on a liver supportive diet such as Hills l/d.I'd discuss with your vet the possibility of starting some supportive medicine such as an anti nausea drug and appeal stimulant.We should also be considering liver supplement including SAM-E and Milk Thistle.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for the quick response. The vet hasn't suggested any medications as she said she can't be 100% whether it's a cancer or benign. She said if the fluid results came back as inconclusive we could look to refer to a specialist. She said she wasn't giving anything until she knew and that includes pain relief. Can I get what's needed over the counter anywhere or does it have to be prescribed?
A liver supportive medicine and liver supplements are often available over the counter from vet clinics and online pharmacies.Anti nausea medicine and appetite stimulants are something your vet would have to issue, but if you have a good case for them, they may well consider starting them before any official diagnosis is made.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He's eating as normal and passing urine and stools no problem at all, he's still playing and climbing too so this is a complete shock
Thank you, ok.If he has no appetite loss, the medicine above may not be needed.Drooling tends to indicate nausea so an anti nausea medicine is to be considered if this is what's going on.If liver disease hasn't been confirmed from a blood test, I'd hold off on the liver diet and supplements.Feed a high quality senior cat food and ensure he eats regularly.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He was drooling on Wednesday so he went straight to the vet, he's not done that since. The bloods done showed high protein so they decided to scan him yesterday and take the fluid sample. She said there's a large cystic like mass containing the fluid on the liver and she doesn't have the confidence to do the surgery
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He's not drooled since Wednesday
Thank you.In this case, I'd agree with your vet that we need more information before deciding on any treatment or medicine.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, he would normally have cat food pouches as his meals am I ok to start giving him chicken etc throughout the day or is that no help at all?
It isn't likely to do any harm as long as he's eating enough of his cat food (which contains all of the micronutrients/vitamins/minerals he need).
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yeah he's wolfing the cat food down I'm just trying to find things to give him that might help in any way possible because I really don't know what to do right now
At this time, we just need to wait for those results.It's great you brought him in so quickly after signs started and it sounds like your vet is being thorough.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, I'll hang in there for the results. Thank you so much for your time.
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Wishing Reggie all the very best.