Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is peeing on the bed and other places he sleeps. His

Customer Question

My cat is peeing on the bed and other places he sleeps. His urine smells very bad too
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this smell in the cat's urine? Has there been any blood?
Customer: no blood. Noticed the smell 3 days ago
JA: Does he also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: actually, it’s two kittens, both 7 months old (Kuro and Shiro) both neutered males i still cant tell which one of them is peeing outside the litter box
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern. 

Have either cats been checked over at the vet (to feel their bladder and analyse their urine)?

Are they both active, social and happy to eat?

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.

Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Peeing outside of the tray and foul smelling urine can have several causes including:

• Cystitis (FLUTD)
  • A bacterial infection of the bladder
  • Bladder stones or urinary crystals
  • Etc.

A vet visit is needed to analyse the urine and check the cat over. Ideally, wee'd spot which cat is the culprit (perhaps with a baby monitor left on) or we could have both assessed.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. anti inflammatories, antibiotics, bladder supplements and/or a prescription diet.

Ensure the cats are drinking plenty of fluids and offer wet food if possible.

Keep stress levels low and a 2 cat household should have access to 3 litter trays.

Any soiled area should be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner.

This website has some great information if the diagnosis is FLUTD:

https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd/

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Linda.