Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He urinates everywhere, He’s always urinated everywhere. No,

Customer Question

He urinates everywhere
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice this change in urination? Does the cat seem more hungry or thirsty than usual?
Customer: He’s always urinated everywhere. No
JA: Does he also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Arlo and he’s nearly 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Arlo?
Customer: He scratches at closed doors
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Arlo.When did this begin?Has he been neutered?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He’s always done this and we’ve had him since he was 9 weeks old. He was neutered when he was 7 months old
Thank you.Has he ever had his urine analysed for crystals?Does he live with other pets?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No he hasn’t but we have taken him to the vets and they’ve said he doesn’t appear to have anything wrong with him. We have another cat and 2 dogs
Thank you, ok.Does he go outside?How many trays do you have?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They are both indoor cats as when we brought them we were told they were an indoor breed. We have 3 trays downstairs and they don’t go upstairs anymore as he urinates on the carpet and mattresses
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
But we do let them outside in our garden a couple of times a week
Thank you, understood.And his urine is never cloudy or bloody?Does he ever pee in drips and drops?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Never cloudy or bloody and no he never pees in drips and drops
Thank you, ok.I'm just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you
As Arlo hasn't his urine analysed, this is the first step.It's quite possible he has urinary crystals, bladder stones or a grumbling infections. He may benefit from a prescription diet and bladder supplements to minimise bladder inflammation.Whether or not there is a medical issue, his behaviour will also be ingrained by now as it's been going on for so long.We need to ensure he always has access to those 3 clean litter trays and I'd consider trying one with a roof and different litter substrates. Many cats have strong preferences.When he does go outside the tray, be sure never to punish him or shout at him as thus creates anxiety and often worsens the behaviour.Any soiled areas must be cleaned right away with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent re soiling. You're right to block off areas like upstairs.Cats who urinate outside of their tray very commonly have to share their territory with other pets. It may be that he's finding it hard to share his home, even if he's always lived with the others. Most cats are natural "lone rangers" and find it stressful to have others about. This can commonly lead to the behaviour he's displaying.Ensure he has all of his own resources and his own place to rest that the others can't go, such as a cat need on top of a cat tree.It may help to use a Feliway Friends plug in too.Icatcare have some excellent advice on the subject:
https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd/

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Take care,

Linda.