Dr. John
Dr. John, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have 9 week old kitten and past day he havent been eating

Customer Question

I have 9 week old kitten and past day he havent been eating or drinking just sleeping
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the kitten's appetite?
Customer: This morning
JA: Does the kitten seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No just tired.. i have older cat and i cought him eating her food
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Mr tickles
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Some times in past hour when he was asleep on me it felt that he was shaking
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 16 days ago.

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I am sorry to hear that Mr Tickles is not eating or drinking and seems lethargic.  I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

Have you seen any vomiting or diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. John replied 16 days ago.

Hello. I just wanted to make sure you got my initial post.  Does Mr. Tickles still seem lethargic like this or have any vomiting or diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. John replied 16 days ago.

Hello. I wasn't sure if I was going to hear back from you or not, so I wanted to at least get you some general information, and you can reply back with any updates, answers to questions, or confirmation from there.  Unfortunately, there are so many issues that can just cause lethargy in a kitten.  Even if there is vomiting or diarrhea, it doesn't narrow it down, but we tend to look more at something they ingested or an intestinal parasite.  Other infectious issues, including feline infectious peritonitis (FIP), a foreign body obstruction, or some other congenital problem with the heart, liver, or kidneys are all possible.  If he is just laying down and doesn't want to move, seems uncomfortable when you pick him up, is vomiting often, has blood in his stool, or hasn't eaten for over 24 hours, I would recommend getting him into your vet for a full evaluation to make sure there is nothing serious going on.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 16 days ago.

How is Mr. Tickles doing?  I hope I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****