How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr L Simmon Your Own Question
Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 7633
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr L Simmon is online now

My ca has been de flea but is constantly nibbling chewing

Customer Question

My ca has been de flea but is constantly nibbling chewing her back is bleeding & red raw
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: How badly is the cat bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: she’s been pulling her fur out a few months but the rawness a couple of weeks
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: snoopy 10 year old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Snoopy?
Customer: I don’t think so the blood is not visible it just looks so red sore rash she’s even sleeping in cat pan
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Snoopy.

Which flea treatment was used and when?

Do you own any other cats?

What was the home treated with?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can’t remember the house spray name but it was frontline on her about 12 wks ago then again about 4 wks ago . Used to have 2 cats but lost 1 in November
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for this information.

I'm sorry to hear about your other cat.

Has Snoopy ever had this issue before with fleas, perhaps when younger?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She’s always been nibbling & pulling fur out especially as she used to have a lot of bladder problems . About 3 - 4 years ago I spent £1200 on an operation to have 4 large stones. Removed
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Thank you, ok.

And has she recently been showing signs of bladder issues such as peeing more often, straining to pee or drinking more?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Ok, good.

And is she over grooming above her tail and on her flanks, rather than her tummy?

Have you ever seen fleas?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Fur is missing along her back not tummy no fleas
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Thank you, ok.

I am just typing my reply which will take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

As it is her back, I am suspicious of a flea allergy.

While I appreciate she has had bladder issues, as she is currently not showing signs of being affected and is not over grooming her tummy, a flare up of this condition is less likely.

Unfortunately many fleas are now resistant to the active ingredient in Frontline (Fipronil). If she does have a flea allergy, even a single flea will cause a flare.

Snoppy must be treated with a strong de flea treatment. Advantage is the best OTC product in my experience. Advocate can be purchased via your vet, which is a similar product.

After applying spot-ons, animals must remain dry for 2 days so no baths or swimming.

Once she has been treated, we need to move on to the environment. This has to be done on the same day. While 5% of the flea burden live on the cat, the remaining 95% are in the bedding, sofas etc. We need to hot wash bedding over 60'c, hoover throughly and use a flea spray that contains and insect growth regulator such as Indorex or RIP Fleas to eliminate the issue.

Sometimes this needs to be repeated a few weeks later in case any eggs/larvae have escaped the initial cleaning.

She must be treated for fleas every 4 weeks.

It's important to say that fleas carry tapeworm so ensure her tapeworm treatment is up to date.

If itching persists, she may need an anti itch injection and some antibiotics from her vet to break the itch scratch cycle and allow her skin to settle.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if there is anything else,

Take care,

Linda.