Dr. John
Dr. John, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a CKD cat age 14, just today diagnosed with

Hello. We have a CKD cat age 14, just today diagnosed with diabetes. We are awaiting follow up appointment in the next few days, and unable to access 24 hour vet care where we live. We have noitced much reduced abiity to jump today, and what we think is a small seizure since returning from the vet (looking a little vacant and shaking head for about 30 seconds). My question is how can we best care for the cat before we can return to the vet. If she has a seizure how can we best manage this? Thank you. Rachel

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I am sorry to hear that your kitty is having to deal with so many issues.  I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

How is her appetite?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Eats a lot. Drinking a lot. Peeing a lot. Vet diagnosed diabetes today via blood tests. Kidney measures are good. No other issues. But lower energy. Looks a little vacant. Just want to know how best to take care and cope if seizure whilst waiting for follow up vet appointment .

Thanks for the information.  The problem is that you cannot really manage seizures at home without some sort of medication.  If they are actively having a seizure, we will give injectable diazepam intravenously.  Many vets will send home a syringe of it to give rectally if they notice a seizure at home.  Was she started on insulin yet?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no. And we may not do so. Complicated by planning to move overseas in next month. Will be making decisions. But want to know how best to cope if she seizes tonight. We can't get to a vet overnight given our location. No car. Thank you.

I see.  Thanks for the information.  The only thing you can do if she seizes is to make sure she doesn't hit her head on something or fall off a higher area.  That is assuming she is having full grand mal seizures with convulsions.  If she is just having the issue with head bobbing, it may not be as major of an issue.  I would just keep her confined as much as possible.  There isn't anything you can give her at home to stop a seizure.  If she was on insulin, it could mean her blood sugar is too low.  In that case, rubbing Karo syrup or honey on her gums can help, but it won't do much unless it is due to low blood sugar.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. thank you. What we saw was more head bobbing. You have helped. Thank you.

You are very welcome!  Do you have any other questions about this or need further clarification about anything?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no that is fine. Thank yuo
You are welcome.  I am glad I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****