Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has just been x rayed and has two broken back legs

Customer Question

My cat has just been x rayed and has two broken back legs been quoted 12,000 for the treatment I can’t afford that and am desperate to help him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's broken leg? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: He ran away on Sunday and has just been found, I think he broke it today as he was spotted last night without signs of injury
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: doesn’t usually go outside and can be kept indoors from now if we can sort something he takes no medication currently
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Goose and he’s about a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Goose?
Customer: No nothing else I think he’s about 9 months if that, sorry just checked
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Goose.

Do you mean £1,200 rather than £12,000?

Which leg is injured?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No unfortunately I mean £12,000. Both back legs are broken and his hip is fractured and dislocated

Oh I'm so sorry to hear how serious the trauma is.

Unfortunately when the injury is this severe, we cannot choose the cheaper option, which would be amputation of the affected limb.

Although, it may be that the more badly broken leg could be amputated (this is a much cheaper option than fracture repair) and that the other leg can be repaired.

£12,000 is a very steep quote indeed and I'm assume this includes specialist involvement and MRI scans.

I'd absolutely be seeking a second opinion as I'm confident you'll get a cheaper quote elsewhere.

We can see if there are any vets who will allow a payment plan; this would be at their discretion.

There are also some vets who will allow payment on credit.

Another option is to crowd fund with e.g. a Go Fund Me page.

If the fractures are complex and surgery may not work or is simply not affordable, we may consider euthanasia. This is to prevent suffering and long-term pain and mobility issues.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks so much, my gut told me it was very steep. The vet tbag quoted us said the recovery rate is very high after the surgery he needs. Is there anyone we can contact for a second opinion?
Absolutely, a second opinion is always advised in a complex situation like this and I'd want another quote.Check for referral hospitals or universities near you who have orthopaedic specialists.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks so much, I’ll look up as much as I can. Just seems mad to charge that much money when it’s almost guaranteed the surgery will allow him to live!
I am a bit shocked at the estimate to be honest, it is very steep.I do hope we can get a more reasonable estimate.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions. Wishing Goose all the very best.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much!

Sure thing!