Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat came home 5 days ago with a cut to his ear, I think

Customer Question

My cat came home 5 days ago with a cut to his ear, I think from a hedge or fence, rather than another cat. He was healing fine and the scab was fine and rehealing each time it came off. But today it has a hole
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: No bleeding. And no swelling..I have a photo but can't attach it ! At the base kind of . Just a little bite out. It looks like it needs one stitch and it would close the little bite out. But he is not infected and is happy out. I just fear his beauty may be affected,ūüėł, and I don't want it to get worse Thank you for any help. I live on an island so no vet near by!
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ex feral so I think he is 5 and his name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about King?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern.

A photo would really help in the assessment here.

This page discusses how to attach one:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Without further information it is hard for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

It sounds like King Midas was bitten by another cat and this formed an abscess which has now ruptured, The hole will be the draining tract, through which pus and fluid can exit.

We would usually not stitch these wounds as this can trap infection inside and delay healing.

However, very large lesions may need to be closed and we would then insert a surgical drain to prevent abscess formation.

He would likely benefit from pain relief and antibiotics and a vet assessment is advised.

I do hope this has been useful and please let me know if there is anything else,

Take care,

Linda.