Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is vomiting after eating each time and I'm not sure

Hi there, my cat is vomiting after eating each time and I'm not sure what to do
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Foamy with food in it
JA: Could the cat have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: No, he is an indoor cat and we keep anything hazardous away from him
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Harold and he is 3.5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Harold?
Customer: He had struvite stones about a year and a half ago where he had to have a few procedures to have the blockage removed and so he has been on Hills Prescription Urinary Care food since

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Harold.

When did this start?

Is he bloated or losing weight?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi there, thank you for getting back to me. This has started maybe 4-5 days ago. He doesn't seem to be bloated but may be losing weight as he is not keeping anything down. He has been drinking water pretty regularly though.

Are his gums pink and wet?

Is the food he is bringing up digested or does it look like it did when it went in?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
his gums are wet and pink - the food looks fully intact and he is vomiting within a few minutes of eating

Thank you, understood.

This sounds like regurgitation.

This can have several causes including a foreign body in the stomach (such as a string, plastic or hair tie), infection or physical obstruction due to e.g. a polyp or mass.

given the duration of the signs, a vet visit is advised right away.

They can examine Harold and check for dehydration or weight loss. They may also run some tests such as a blood test and imaging.

At home, offer small meals little and often from a slow feeder bowl. Chicken or white fish and rice is a good 'easy to digest' option.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, thank you so much, I will get him to the vets right away! Thank you for your help!

Not at all and wishing Harold all the best.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated.