Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My granddaughter cat came in last night with 2 big puncture

Customer Question

My granddaughter cat came in last night with 2 big puncture holes in her neck and what looked like a big claw sticking out. I told her to bathe it with salt water. She has text me to say she has appointment at pdsa but she has no way of getting there. She doesn't even have a basket to put little cat in. She has 2 children under 2 and can't get them on a bus because she lives in Southwick and would need 2 buses and also she couldn't manage children and a cat in her arms which would not be safe. I am disabled and can't help. I'm frantic with worry. She has no money either. I don't know what to do. Please can you help me.
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Eli and nearly 2. I think she's been bitten. Maybe a fox or I hope not a rat.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Eli?
Customer: I don't think so except he us a much loved cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here.

Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review that information I may have more questions. I will be helping multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

I am very sorry that Eli is having this problem. I understand your concern.

I just want to be sure I understand the problem clearly.  It does sound like Eli has a bite wound which will likely become infected if untreated.   Other than the bite wound does Eli seem fairly well?  Eating, drinking, normal mobility and activity?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think so but he keeps scratching the wound. I've told her to bathe it in salt water.

Do I understand it is not possible to see a veterinarian?

Keeping the wound clean with warm water and/or baby wipes and keeping it open for drainage is best.

If it is impossible for you to see a veterinarian, a product called Fish Mox is amoxicillin 250 mg capsules. It is sold for fish online and at most pet and farm supply stores without prescription, although I hear it is getting harder to find. It is reported to be the same product sold in pharmacies by prescription, but I have no assurance or evidence of that. You would be taking full responsibility for giving it to your pet if you so choose. The dose is 5-10mg per pound twice daily for 5 days. Open the capsule, divide the powder into parts to get the desired mg, then sprinkle powder dose into 1 tsp wet food.

Fish Antibiotics for Sale | Buy Fish Antibiotics at eFishMox

FishBiotic Amoxicillin Fish Antibiotic Fishbiotic - Antibiotics | Pet (valleyvet.com)

Hello.  Are you there?

I hope this has helped. We try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible.

Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with, or if you need clarification on anything. I want to be sure that I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 14 days ago.

Since I have not heard back, I will mark the question complete.

You can send me updates and ask me follow up questions on this problem by coming back to this chat or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. I will respond when I come back on. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your "My Questions” page or you can request me by name if you wish. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

JustAnswer offers assistance in multiple areas in addition to Veterinary, such as Medical, Legal, Computers, Antiques, Automotive, and more, so if you have any questions in the future in those areas, you can use your JustAnswer membership to obtain assistance from those Experts. Thank you for using our site.