Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My cat has a cut on his neck and it's not healing. It seems

Customer Question

My cat has a cut on his neck and it's not healing. It seems like the wound is getting bigger and worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the cat hurt his neck? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: About a week ago
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Yes it is bleeding and swelling behind his ear
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.
Hi.  My name is*****  I’m sorry to hear about this going on.  Can you post a picture here of this area?   What did it look like when this first started?   Is he indoor / outdoor?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He goes out most days but he's in doors a lot too. I believe the injury happened when he was outdoors but I don't know what. I will take a picture when I find him as he's run off and hidden somewhere.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.
What I’m always suspicious of with these indoor / outdoor cats is an abscess from a bite.  He could have easily gotten into a fight with another cat and got bit here.  If this is the case, veterinary care is needed to help resolve it.  Ideally I’d take him to your vet so they can in person evaluate this and most likely clip and clean and flush this.  They can then give him antibiotics to get it to heal.  Please do send that picture.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (55VP777)
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.
Good job on the picture. That area behind his right ear looks suspicious for a growth that is ulcerating.  Can you get him to your vet to have this looked at?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would you say it's life threatening?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.
It isn’t immediately life threatening.  It could be a more aggressive tumor though that would shorten his life.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK, Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.
Do you think you can get him to your vet to have them check it over here in the next week or so?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

That is good!  That will ultimately be the best for him as they can in person check the area over and see what they can do for it.  If this is a growth, they may do some cytology on it to see what cell line it is to give you a more accurate idea as to what to expect from it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

I'm hoping for the best for this friend.  I'll check back tomorrow to see if any further questions come up.  If you have any come up at any point, you can write back!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.
Good morning.  Have any other questions come up?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No not that I can think of. I think the best solution is to take him to the vets so he can be examined and then take it from there.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.
That would be best!  I’m hoping for the best for him.  You can write back at anytime with any other questions.  Thanks for using Just Answer.