Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

How can I help my cat to don't be biten by other cats,

Customer Question

How can I help my cat to don't be biten by other cats
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the cat get this bite? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: Yesterday
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jeremy, 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Jeremy?
Customer: We got antibiotics from Vet
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear about this and appreciate your concern for Jeremy.Where was he bitten?Is he neutered?Are there un-neutered cats nearby?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
is the nearby cat
I cannot personally make phone calls but can continue talking via typing if that's OK.Are both cats neutered?Whereabouts was Jeremy bitten?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My cat it was biten second time by same cat
Are both cats neutered?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
First it was by the neck and yesterday by the leg
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you advise me how can I help my cat to don't be biten again please?
but I need some more information to be able to best advise, so if you can please answer my questions.Are both cats neutered?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they are
Thank you, ok.I'm just typing my reply now which will take a few minutes.
As one bite was on the front and another on the back, he is likely both attacking and defending.Bites on the front of the body usually occur when a cat is participating in a fight, while bites on the back half of the body tend to occur when cats run away.Putting a collar with a bell on will reduce the success of his fights and the number of altercations.Ideally, work out a "timetable" with the other cats owner so they don't go out at the same time. It may we help to talk to them as they likely have similar concerns to you and you can work together.Ensure your cat always has instant access to your house, which may mean investing in a microchip cat flap.Encourage play and activity as much as possible at home so he's less liekly to want to engage in fighting.Consider making a "catio" or enclosed outdoor space if the issue isn't resolving.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not at all and I hope you both have peace soon, I know this must be a real worry.