Dr Megan
Dr Megan, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110745586

My cat has 3 kittens that are 8 weeks old in a few days. One

Customer Question

My cat has 3 kittens that are 8 weeks old in a few days. One of her kittens won't eat wet or solid food and still wants to suckle. He is meant to be going to his new home on Sunday. Do you have any advice?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the kitten also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No, he's just as active as ever He just hasn't weaned
JA: Does the kitten seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Charlie?
Customer: He seems perfectly healthy and happy but seems to be afraid of food. He drinks water and kitten milk and is still feeding from Tigger - his mother
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 15 days ago.
Hi, I am Dr Megan and I will be helping you today. 

Thats good that he seems happy and healthy. I would really advise that he needs to be eating some solid/wet food before he goes to his new home.

There is a chance if he goes to his new home not being able to eat cat food it will be very stressful for him and he may be at increased risk of tummy issues or weight loss.

How you can help him:

1.  I would try to keep him an extra week with you to try and get him eating. 
  2.  Decrease the time that he is with his mum.Could you keep her separated for 24 hours? The more he sucks from her she will keep supplying milk, if he stops sucking then her mild supply will stop. 
  3. If he is drinking kitten milk then could you add some kitten cat food or mushed up kitten dry food into the milk for him?(only a little portion to start with).  Do this when he is likely to be most hungry- would this be morning or evening for him?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. I'll try what you have advised.
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 15 days ago.

Good luck, feel free to let me know how you are getting on.