Dr. John
Dr. John, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a rag doll cat he is 4 yrs old. In the last couple of

I have a rag doll cat he is 4 yrs old. In the last couple of days hes started sneezing and today he was coughing but didn’t bring up a fur ball. He is eating but slower then usual. He is an indoor cat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the cat been drinking more or less water than usual? Have you taken his temperature?
Customer: Drinks the same. I haven’t taken his temperature
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the cat been licking or scratching his skin?
Customer: Yes he’s been scratching quite a bit and he’s licking himself now.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Dominic
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Dominic?
Customer: he has a couple of scabs under his chin that Ive just noticed

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

I am sorry to hear that Dominic is having some issues with sneezing and coughing.  Is he having any discharge from his nose?  If so, please describe it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No discharge but when he sneezes clear discharge comes out

Thanks for the information.  Did Dominic have an issue with an upper respiratory infection when he was a kitten?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No. No problems

Thanks.  Have there been any other cats in the household?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have a 9 month old male rag doll kitten he’s been here since he was 10 weeks old he’s also an indoor cat

I see.  Did he have any problems with respiratory infections when you got him?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No

Thanks.  While it could be allergies, these symptoms are usually us concerned about an upper respiratory infection. It may be viral at this point and will respond to 500 mg of L-lysine twice daily.  You can get a Lysine paste from most pet stores or online.  In many cases, though, we will treat them with antibiotics because they often turn bacterial.  If there is a lot of congestion or a thick, greenish-yellowish discharge from the nose, they definitely need antibiotics.  Some vets may treat with 2 mg of chlorpheniramine twice as an antihistamine as well.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Should I use the paste for a few days before going to get antibiotics
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The discharge is still clear atm

I think if he is eating and drinking well, and doesn't seem very congested, it is fine to try the paste first to see if it helps.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he’s still eating drinking and using his litter box. So I’ll try the paste then take him to the vet in a couple of days if he’s no better. Obviously if he deteriorates I’ll take him immediately. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome! Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not at the moment thank you. I’ve ordered the paste and will keep an eye on him. He’s still playful and happy so I’m hopeful it’s just allergies and nothing more. Thank you again

You are welcome. I am glad I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****