Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

He’s really nauseous and trying to vomit but isn’t bringing

Customer Question

Hi he’s really nauseous and trying to vomit but isn’t bringing anything up. I think he ate something from our garden. Should I be worried
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: my cat He’s a ragdoll
JA: How much did the cat eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: I’m not sure how much he ate. He must be around 4/5kg
JA: The Expert will know if the cat will be okay to digest that. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: romeo and he’s 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Romeo?
Customer: no. That’s all
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 days ago.

My name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Romeo gagging/trying to vomit but not brining anything up.

1. Can you tell if he has been urinating a normal amount?
  2. Is he showing signs of pain with abdominal pressure?
  3. How long has he been like this?
  4. Passing normal stools?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 days ago.

I'm not sure you are still online, so I'll respond as best as I can. I am most concerned that he may have a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter. If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked. When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to vomit and become quite lethargic.
 As you can imagine this is very painful, so some cats will vocalize and often do not want their abdomen touched. If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias. He needs immediate veterinary care, this is something that cannot wait to be addressed. Typing more..

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 days ago.

Nausea can be due to a change in diet, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something he should not (garden plant?), inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract. If you are sure he can urinate fine then there are some things we can do to try and settle his stomach. To try and settle his stomach you can give an over the counter acid reducer that people take for acid reflux, either: 1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 5 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12-24 hours. OR 3)Ranitidine at a dose of 1/4 of a 75mg tablet per 9-20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. These will reduce stomach acid and could help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. Typing more...

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 days ago.

I would wait to feed him any food for a good 6-12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broth like low salt chicken broth offered frequently are fine as he needs fluids. You can give him Pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, although most cats don't like the taste. After his food fast offer him a bland diet mix of 2/3 parts boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. Once he feels better (no retching/gagging for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back. If Romeo is continuing to gag, runs a fever or has a tense painful abdomen and is feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration. Does this help? Any questions?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thankyou so much for ur advice. He’s urinating as normal so I will follow your advice
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 days ago.

I am glad to hear that he is urinating normally! Please let me know how things go for him!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are there any over the counter anti- emetics that I could give him incase he gets nauseous again in the future?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He’s doing a lot better thanks and drinking normally and trying to eat his food too but in small amounts
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also he is a ragdoll cat, so he is long haired. Do u know how often I should give him hairball medications
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 days ago.
I am glad that he is feeling better. No good anti-emetics available over the counter, but the acid reducers I recommended (Pepcid or Prilosec or Ranitidine) are often quite helpful in decreasing nausea.

In long haired cats feeding a canned food with fiber is often the best thing to help hair pass through the gi tract. Over the counter pure lubricant options (Laxatone, Cat Lax) are fine too. Because they are pure lubricants and not absorbed (so no systemic effects) you can give them as often as daily to every other day as needed, but they might cause loose stools if given that often. You'll need to experiment a bit and see what works for him.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thankyou so much! I’ll continue with the acids recuders then if he continues to be nauseous
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 days ago.

My pleasure!