Dr. John
Dr. John, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an elderly cat (about 18 year old, neutered) that

Hi. I have an elderly cat (about 18 year old, neutered) that started taking Loxicom (for suspected arthritis) last Wednesday, prescribed by a vet. (He takes 3.5 mg in the mornings) This evening he seem to have peed himself while asleep (his hind legs and his side/back and his tale were all pee-soaked, he peed on the beanbag (hence I suspect he was asleep when it happened). He has also threw a little food back up prior to this but it's not unusual at all, but he has never peed himself in his sleep before. Is it possible that it happened because of Loxicom? Shall I discontinue giving it to him? He otherwise seem okay, his normal himself.

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

I am sorry to hear that your kitty is having problems with urinating himself and vomiting.  Did your vet check any blood work on him last Wednesday?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, they did not.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi. And thank you for replying. I thought I'd only get an answer tomorrow morning. :-)

Thanks for the information.  Have you noticed an increase in the amount of water he is drinking?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, I didn't notice anything unusual apart from the urinating.

Thanks for the information. Give me 5-10 minutes to review, make sure I do not have any other questions, and respond.

There is some concern that Loxicom could be affecting his kidneys.  I would discontinue it to see how he responds.  If it is affecting the kidneys, though, the symptoms may not go away.  My best advice would be to have your vet run some blood work and a urinalysis on him to check the kidneys and to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you. Would it be classed as an urgent issue (I assume so)? Only asking as I'm using a charity vet service that helps people with low income/ on benefits to care for their pets and I think they only deal with urgent cases (I saw them last Wednesday to vaccinate my cat, that's when they suggested we try this medicine).
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Either way, I'll definitely give them a call tomorrow.

You are welcome.  If he is acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't say it is an urgent issue, but it would be a good idea to have him checked sooner than later, especially if he continues to do this after stopping the medication.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay, I'll give them a call in the morning.
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.. :-)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Enjoy your evening. :-)

You are very welcome! Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, thank you, it's all clear. However, I can't see the review bit for you. Or does it only appear after we've officially ended our conversation?

You will only see it after I make sure you do not have any other questions and complete the conversation.  You can, however, still reply back with updates on this issue after completing it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Oh, I see. Thank you again. And have a lovely evening.

You as well!  I am glad I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****