Dr. John
Dr. John, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat is never full

My cat is never full
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My cat will eat a full pouch of food and some cat biscuits, then it is like she has forgotten she has just been fed and wants fed again minutes later. All day long she shouts to be fed
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She also sits and begs like a dog when we are eating our food. She never gets anything but she tries. Once some lettuce fell off my plate and she even ate that! Lol

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

I understand your concern about your cat always being hungry.  How old is she?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She is 5

Thanks for the information.  Has she always been like this, or is this a new issue?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
To a degree she has always been like this but she has got worse

Thanks.  Have you seen any vomiting, diarrhea, or an increase in drinking and urination?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She has had diarrhoea occasionally but haven’t noticed anything else

Thanks for the information. Give me 5-10 minutes to review, make sure I do not have any other questions, and respond.

I forgot to ask.  Has she had any weight loss?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No

Thanks.  The biggest concern we have for a cat with an increased appetite is hyperthyroidism.  Usually, we will not see it in a 5-year-old cat, but it is worth checking.  We will typically see weight loss as well.  Some cats may have an increased appetite in the beginning stages of diabetes as well.  An increase in drinking and urination is usually seen with diabetes, though.  Other diseases that can mimic hyperthyroidism in cats are inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal lymphoma, or some other intestinal disease that limits digestion and absorption of nutrients.  If she has periodic diarrhea, that could be due to inflammatory bowel disease.  It would be worth it to have your vet run routine blood work on her, including a thyroid value.  I would also check a fecal exam for any intestinal parasites.  Lastly, I would run a serum cobalamin and folate level.  Changes in these values could signify a problem with digestion and absorption.  A test to see if there are pancreatic insufficiency issues may help, but usually, you will see more chalky stool.  It is possible that there could be something wrong with the satiety center of the brain that lets them know they are full.  Trauma or a mass is possible  This is just uncommon.  Now, there are some cats that are just big eaters and are always asking for food.  If you want to make sure it isn't a behavioral issue first, though, medical issues need to be ruled out.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. That is very helpful

You are very welcome! Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No that’s great thanks. I’ll get a vet appt booked.

You are welcome.  I am glad I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****