Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My female cat Bean has been excessively licking her lower

My female cat Bean has been excessively licking her lower belly /nipples, I've just checked her again and her nipples have been bleeding from licking them too much
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the cat bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: Not bad just a tiny bit of blood, it's scabbed a bit around one of her nipples
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bean, about 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bean?
Customer: No other conditions
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The fur around her belly is quite short from the licking

Hello, this is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here.

Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review that information I may have more questions. I will be helping multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

I am very sorry that Bean is having this problem. I understand your concern.

I just want to be sure I understand the problem clearly.   How long has Bean been licking like this?

Also, is your kitty strictly indoors? Are there other pets in the home?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She goes outside occasionally, we got her a month ago and she's always done it. Have not managed to get her to a vet yet as we have covid

Thank you.  Do you use monthly prescription flea control?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, is it possible to get that online ?

You can purchase Advantage and Frontline online without a prescription however prescription products would require you to see your veterinarian.  They also work much better.  Your veterinarian can also give Bean something to stop the itching if necessary.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok great thank you

I hope this has helped. We try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible.

Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with, or if you need clarification on anything. I want to be sure that I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

You are very welcome!

Since you have no further questions, I will mark this question complete.

You can send me updates and ask me follow up questions on this problem by coming back to this chat or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. I will respond when I come back on. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your "My Questions” page or you can request me by name if you wish.

Thanks so much, and kind regards!

JustAnswer offers assistance in multiple areas in addition to Veterinary, such as Medical, Legal, Computers, Antiques, Automotive, and more, so if you have any questions in the future in those areas, you can use your JustAnswer membership to obtain assistance from those Experts. Thank you for using our site.