Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I got a kitten today and I’m just worried as she seems to be

Customer Question

I got a kitten today and I’m just worried as she seems to be very nervous and is pooing a bit and it’s not solid
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the kitten's situation?
Customer: She’s 9 weeks old and I got her at 3pm today she’s come from a household with mum dad and obviously siblings so I think it might be nerves but wanted to find out
JA: Does the kitten ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: she also isn’t at all interested in the litter tray and gets scared when I take her to it because I’m picking her up s no and no
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Thelma
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Thelma?
Customer: she’s actually just got in the litter tray and is scratching around x No x
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 21 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Thelma.

As she is brand new to you, anxiety is common and it will take her a while to settle in.

Keep the home calm and quiet and ensure she has a cosy spot to relax in peace.

If not used to the litter tray, it may take time for her to use it. Place her in it when she goes to pass poo or pee and reward her with treats and praise when she succeeds.

Are her gums pink and wet?

Does she seem lethargic or is she off her food?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No she’s fine she’s had her first meal and ate well and her gums are fine. I’m just concerned it seems to be fairly soft when she is pooing and she seems to be doing it when she is scared is that normal?

Thank you, ok.

Soft stool is commonly linked to transport, rehoming and stress.

The main thing is that she remains well and is happy to eat and drink.

The stool should improve each day.

Is she eating the same thing the breeder fed her or a new food?

Has she been wormed in the last 2 weeks?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She’s got an appointment next week for a full check up treatment and vaccines. I’m not sure if she has been wormed? Hopefully it’s just a bit of nerves then. And she has new food because they bought food from their home country that they feed their other cats and I’ve given her a mix of dry and wet kitten food which she has just eaten and has eaten well.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She did have pellets and was switched to sand we have a sort of middle litter. Will the litter type alter her interest in the litter tray

Abruptly changing a diet will almost always cause loose stool at this age.

Any diet change should be made slowly over several days.

I'd go ahead and give her some probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin.

I'd also give Panacur wormer as she likely has worms if she has not been treated recently. Kittens should be wormed from 2-3 weeks of age, every 3 weeks until 12 weeks old.

Both products can be purchased online or from a pet shop without a prescription.

Yes, if the litter is not familiar to her, it may cause stress. Ideally we would use the litter type she is used to, at least for the first few weeks.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hopefully you can see my reply sent 15 mins ago?It is also in your email inbox.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 20 days ago.

No problem at all and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.