Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Took on a rescue cat. He keeps calling between 11pm and 3 am

Customer Question

Hi, took on a rescue cat. He keeps calling between 11pm and 3 am every night for a week since I got him a week past Tuesday. The last 2 days he has been calling during the day and trying to cover India Rose. He is supposedly neutered.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation?
Customer: He's a rescue from Saudi Arabia. He's a nervous cat but after the introductions with India Rose they get on well. But he is very loud and calls to get out I presume every night. The past two days he has been jumping her, pinning her down and trying to hump her. (excuse the French). I have bought a plug in to make him more comfortable but don't know if it helps. Is there any reason that he may not be neutered
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: I haven't let him outside and no medications. I haven't registered him with you yet but India Rose is.
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Messi 1year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Messy?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Messi.

If he is not neutered, you will see two visible testicles. Is this the case?

Has your female been spayed?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No she isn't

As she has not been spayed, if she is in season, this will be confusing Messi whether he has been neutered or not.

If he was neutered after puberty (about 5-6 months of age), he may still have some of the natural instincts to mate.

If you're not sure he has been neutered, this needs to be confirmed right away.

If his behaviour is stressing her out, keep them separate while she is in heat. If it is an option, she should be neutered when you can. Not only should this improve their relationship, it will reduce the risk of her developing mammary cancer and uterine infections.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Great thank you. Is there anything I can do to stop him calling at night. Sorry I didn't have enough money to call

Please ignore any call requests, we can talk via typing.

The first step is in ensuring both cats are neutered.

Next, try to tire him out both physically and mentally during the day. This can mean lots of food puzzles, training games, wind up toy chasing, scent games etc.

It may also help to use a Feliway spray or plug in and some natural calming supplements such as Zylkene, to keep him nice and calm.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She isn't in heat at moment. But I will keep them separated for now. Thanks.

Sure thing, it should help to settle him down.

At this time of year, cats come in and out of heat very regularly as heat lasts 5-7 days and they can cycle as often as every 3 weeks.

If there is anything else, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Really, ohh okay thank you

Not at all and take care.