Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My beloved cat has come back home with massive swelling to

Customer Question

Good afternoon. My beloved cat has come back home with massive swelling to the eye. The swelling went down a bit but his cornea seems very affected with ulceration on it and changed colour . Looks like he caught something in the eye. He is active and eating. I would appreciate any help you can provide.thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: It's Jose and he is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing at the moment thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Jose.When did this happen?Is he lethargic or breathing quickly?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, it's happened few gew days ago, I took him to a local vet and they opened his eye and said eye might need removing. They gave him some injection, our appoitment later 5 minutes and no other checks were done. I'm truly devastated by this prognosis. He is breathing normal, not lethargic although sad as I haven't let him out to risk of getting the eye worse.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have a photo of his eye if I I'm able to upload
please, a photo would be great.Do you know what medicine was given?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The vet did not say and I was in in a such shock I forgot to ask
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (Q21MM34)
Unfortunately, I would agree with your vet on this one.Jose's eye is very damaged and likely a source of pain as well as infection. I wouldn't think he'd have any vision.There is a huge amount of scarring of the cornea and it appears to have ruptured. There is also a lot of inflammation, internal bleeding and pus.Removing the eye is almost certain the best thing to do, and the sooner the better.You could seek a second opinion from an ophthalmologist but sadly, I don't think this eye can be saved.Cats do amazingly well with one eye and it is better to have no eye than an eye that is infected, sore and not functional.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your help. Of course we love him and this is truly saddening to hear
I understand and I'm so sorry this has happened.If there is anything else, please let me know.Wishing Jose all the very best.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I would do almost anything to save his eye so it is difficult to heat there is virtually bo hope
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you so much
I'm very sorry.As I say, you could see an ophthalmologist for an in person 2nd opinion but I don't believe the eye can be saved.