Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I bathed my kitten this afternoon and I think he's inhaled

Customer Question

Hi, I bathed my kitten this afternoon and I think he's inhaled some water in. I've noticed his breathing is quite fast
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your kitten?
Customer: I bathed him this afternoon and I think he must have inhaled the water in. I've noticed his breathing fast
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Milo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Milo, aspiration of anything can be risky for kittens. Now hopefully his airway did protect itself and didn't let much in. If he has not settles, then take a breathing rate (just count his breaths for 10 seconds and multiply by 6). If that rate is >30 breaths in a minute or if his gums are paler then usual or white; then he needs to be seen urgently for oxygen. Sometimes that is enough to settle them down, though some can develop aspiration pneumonia which may need further treatment,. But the #1 thing at this point is to check his breathing rate and if well over 30 then he is safest being seen by a local or ER vet.

Kind regards, ***** *****