Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

He is 18.5 years old and seems to have lost his balance,

Customer Question

He is 18.5 years old and seems to have lost his balance, crossing his front paws to stay upright and walking in a weird way
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Do the cat's eyes move from side to side? Or do they stay focused straight ahead?
Customer: I think straight ahead with him moving his head to see outside of what is ahead of him
JA: Is he taking any medications?
Customer: no
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: kit
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kit?
Customer: no he is eating well, purring normallyCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 17 days ago.
This is a Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help. it is a good sign that Kit is eating. These symptoms are typical for a neurologic issue such as brain lesions or inner ear infections or liver disease. Considering his advanced age, I worry that this could be serious for him. There is nothing  you can do to help at home. Only an exam and diagnostics will tell you how best to treat Kit.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it does thank you. It has been a few weeks bow so I suspect it is not and ear infection. Is it something that is likely to mean euthanising him?

That is hard to tell…brain tumors wil grow and cause more serious symptoms that, in time, May require euthanasia. This is the same for liver cancer or other issues. If this is a benign tumor, these symptoms may remain the same and Kit can live with this.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay many thanks. We have his Mum too who is 19.5 years a d she will struggle without him. So it is a bit of a worry for them both.

Wow! That is so great!, you must take very good care of your sweet ones…hopefully, Kit will be around for awhile and add joy to your life as with his Mum❤️