Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

I'm.looking after my step daughters cat and when I left her

Customer Question

Hi I'm.looking after my step daughters cat and when I left her this morning she was fine. I've been tonight and she is limping on her sick left leg. She's been inside all day. I've touched and felt it and she didn't like her pad being touched so checked for anything in it but couldn't see anything. So wondering if she's jumped down from the bed and sprained it. She's purring and I can hold her, she's had some food. Shall I see how she is tomorrow?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the cat's legs/feet?
Customer: No nothing other than when she walks she's limping and slightly lifts it up and doest want to walk for long
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tortie about 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sortie?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here.

Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review that information I may have more questions. I will be helping multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

I am very sorry that Tortie is having this problem. I understand your concern.

I just want to be sure I understand the problem clearly.  Is Tortie strictly indoors? Are there other pets in the home?

Since I have not heard back from you, I want to provide you with an answer in a general sense from the information you have provided to me. You can always ask a follow-up question. I will check back later.

If you have checked the nails and pads for any injury, redness, soreness, or swelling and found nothing significant, then the rear leg problem could be a knee injury commonly caused by jumping up onto something, missing, then falling awkwardly back and twisting causing a strain or tear to the ligament in the knee. In cats this usually resolves in a few days to a few weeks depending on severity. Rest is best.

If the symptoms persist or worsen a veterinary exam is best.

I hope this has helped. We try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible.

Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with, or if you need clarification on anything. I want to be sure that I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Since I have not heard back, I will mark this question complete.

You can send me updates and ask me follow up questions on this problem by coming back to this chat or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. I will respond when I come back on. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your "My Questions” page or you can request me by name if you wish.

Thanks so much, and kind regards!

JustAnswer offers assistance in multiple areas in addition to Veterinary, such as Medical, Legal, Computers, Antiques, Automotive, and more, so if you have any questions in the future in those areas, you can use your JustAnswer membership to obtain assistance from those Experts. Thank you for using our site.