JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My kitten is dirty dum not cleaning it’s self, It’s an

Customer Question

Hi my kitten is dirty dum not cleaning it’s self
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the kitten's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: It’s an 8weeks kitten just moved with us a couple of days. Yesterday had a dirty bum have to wash it as he wasn’t cleaning it
JA: Does the kitten ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: no he is always inside. Not on medications
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Tom
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tom?
Customer: No I don’t think so
Category: Cat
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

hi there, you are through to Dr Jake, im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concerns with your kitten.

is this something that has just happened today/ overnight?

is he showing any signs of loose/ soft stools or diarrhoea?

is there any vomiting?

has he been wormed since you got him?

is he still bright and active?

thanks

Dr Jake

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would say a soft stool ,no vomiting , he is still active
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t think he is warmed since I got him
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I mean wormed
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

ok thanks, ***** ***** likely the cause of his back end being dirty.

soft stools or diarrhoea can often cause this. it can be due to diet, he may have eaten something that ahs upset the stomach causing soft stools.

products to help with this can be bought online or from your local pet shop or vets such as - pro-kolin , pro-max or fortiflora. they help replenish the healthy bacteria in the gut and bind up soft stools to help resolve this.

as he isnt wormed, i would advise him getting weighed at your local vets so they can prescribe worming as parasties in the intestines can also cause this - products form the vets are much more reliable and safe than medications form the pet shop or supermarket.

if the soft stools clears up then this is great, if it doesnt the next step would likely be faecal sample analysis which you vet can organise

if the stools turns to diarrhoea over the weekend or if tom becomes lethargic or starts vomiting then i would advise seeing the emergency vet today

i hope this information helps

thanks

Dr Jake

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

hi i hope you have been able to get some of the products listed above, thanks