Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Trying to get through to the PDSA but no working. My cat is

Customer Question

Hi, so trying to get through to the PDSA but no working. My cat is pregnant spoke to then yesterday about her, she has diarrhoea ever time she eats. Won't stop meowing. Don't know what I can do for her
JA: Hi there. We like to be extra careful with pregnancies, so I'll need to connect you with the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share about the situation?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now PDSA do not have Sunday hours, but usually are contracted with VetNow to cover emergency causes. If she diarrhea, that won't be considered an emergency.

Given she is pregnant, it does limit what one can do for them but most often diarrhea in these cases are due to infection (eg bacterial, viral, parasites, protozoa). The reason is b/c mom will have a weaker immune system as she pours her body resources into those kittens. That said, there are some steps you can take until you can reach them tomorrow.

First, I would not change her food (often we use bland diets in nonpregnant animals), since it is more balanced to keep supporting those kittens. BUT I would suggest some additions to help reduce her diarrhea. Specifically, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

If she is very loose, we can also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is carried by most pharmacies (though avoid Loperamide or Pepto Bismol as those are not cat safe). Alternatively, there are OTC pet specific anti-diarrheals with probiotics (eg Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber ) that we can use. Most pet stores will carry these if no local vets are open (they tend to be over the counter there as well).

Overall, this raises few concerns but thankfully would not be considered an emergency. So, use the above now for today to help reduce the diarrhea and the toll it may take her on her. THen she can be see ASAP on Monday by the PDSA where they can determine the trigger and start her on further treatment as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's great thankyou. Just get so worried as haven't had a pregnant cat before. Thankyou so much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

You are very welcome,

No worry at all. It is tricky. You are right to be vigilant  b/c pregnancy in animals means they have less immune resources to fight off things like this and are more delicate overall. Thankfully all of the above standard care we'd use to reduce diarrhea is safe for pregnancy as well, so we can use them to help her til they are open. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's amazing thankyou
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

You are very welcome. :)