Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

Are you well? I have been told my 8 month old British

Customer Question

Hi, are you well?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I have been told my 8 month old British shorthair has 2 heart murmurs
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the heart murmur. Does the cat ever go outside? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: Doesn't go outside, been given Semintra
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Henry 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Henry?
Customer: Has loss of appetite
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here.

Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review that information I may have more questions. I will be helping multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

I am very sorry that Henry is having this problem. I understand your concern.

I just want to be sure I understand the problem clearly.  Have you seen a cardiologist for this problem with Henry?  Did the appetite loss start with the medication?

Are there other pets in the home?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, no he hasn't seen a cardiologist, Vet said he has 2 heart murmurs, he is 4kg in weight and 8 months old, no history of heart issues with parents
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
One other female cat, medication didn't cause loss of appetite

Thank you.  How long ago did Henry start the medication?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
2 days ago

Does Henry have any symptoms of heart disease or was the murmur found on routine exam?  What breed is Henry?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Murmurs found on routine check, he is a British shorthair, sometimes pants if he's been running around but it's been hot where we live

Is you question now about his heart or his loss of appetite?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
About his heart and what it means, where do we go from here and is the medication necessary?

It is unusual to begin medication in a cat as young as Henry who is not symptomatic.  Heart murmurs in cats can be benign and may not even be heard on the subsequent visits.  An echocardiogram of the heart would be indicated before medication.

I would suggest that if possible you see a cardiologist or have Henry rechecked in a month to see if the murmur is still there.

I hope this has helped. We try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible.

Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with, or if you need clarification on anything. I want to be sure that I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

You are very welcome!

Since you have no further questions, I will mark this question complete.

You can send me updates and ask me follow up questions on this problem by coming back to this chat or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. I will respond when I come back on. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your "My Questions” page or you can request me by name if you wish.

Thanks so much, and kind regards!

JustAnswer offers assistance in multiple areas in addition to Veterinary, such as Medical, Legal, Computers, Antiques, Automotive, and more, so if you have any questions in the future in those areas, you can use your JustAnswer membership to obtain assistance from those Experts. Thank you for using our site.