Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 2 year old cat, starting throwing up this afternoon, then

Customer Question

Hi my 2 year old cat, starting throwing up this afternoon, then went out, starting laying down and couldn't move anymore. Now she is constantly moaning, not moving and breathing a bit heavily
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My 2 year old cat, started throwing up this afternoon, went out then layed down and couldn't move anymore, she's moaning and breathing a bit heavily
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for her, this sounds very serious.How many times a minute is she breathing?Are her gums pink and wet?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Mouth open and meowing

She is breathing with her mouth open?

Are you able to tell if her gums are pink and wet?

And is she is breathing more than 30 times a minute?

Hello? Could you see my reply?

I appreciate it has not been very long since your last reply, but given the severity of the symptoms, I am going to type my advise now.

Please respond when you can and we can continue the conversation.

If she is breathing more than 30 times a minute and/or her gums are pale, this is a true emergency and she needs to see a vet immediately.

This means taking her to your nearest out of hours clinic now.

The vet will provide oxygen and medicine to improve her breathing and, once stable, will run tests to determine what is going on.

Her treatment will depend on what is found and may include e.g. chest drainage, antibiotics, a blood transfusion etc.

Please let me know if you need the details for your nearest open vet.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

I hope that this has been helpful and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.