Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Cat has discharge from eyes (runny eyes), occasionally

Customer Question

Cat has brown discharge from eyes (runny eyes), occasionally sneezing. Eating ok. Seems tired.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: About a week. No real change to appetite.
JA: Could the cat have eaten something unusual?
Customer: I doubt it but you never know. We live in the countryside.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Holly is 7 1/2 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Holly?
Customer: She was given anti-inflammatory medication by the vet a week ago. She didnt seem sure what it was, vet thought it could be mild cat flu. She seemed to be getting better until yesterday when her eye started closing and discharging again.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 16 days ago.
I am so sorry that Holly is having this problem. It appears that she is suffering from an Upper Respiratory Infection that is affecting her eyes. This discharge tells us that she has a conjunctivitis which is inflammation of the tissue surrounding her eyes. For this, apply Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment , available at the local pet store or farm supply, every 8 hrs. This will reduce this inflammation and help Holly past this. If you cannot get this over the counter, you will have to have your veterinarian examine Holly and prescribe an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment for her to get her past this. 

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No. She was checked for conjunctivitis a week ago and it was clear as a bell.

The discharge tells us that there is an irritation causing this. Applying a topical treatment to her eyes is the only way to reduce this inflammation. This may not be an infection but this inflammation needs to be addressed and treated to give Holly some relief.