Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He has not been eating his hard food and when he does eat it

Customer Question

He has not been eating his hard food and when he does eat it he drops it a lot and sometimes will lick his lips while tilting his head. Then has recently thrown up a couple time.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: His energy level hasn’t really changed. There has been a lot of stress with constantly moving airbnbs because of lack of accommodations and he gets bad anxiety. So I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I think he may have a tooth ache
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: i don’t think so
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Newt?
Customer: just that he did start drooling a little bit and licking his lips so again I think he either ate something wrong or I’m not sure b
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 8 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Newt.

Has he been vaccinated?

Will he let you check his mouth for any red gums, swelling or bad breath?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
His mouth is fine. He threw up again and it looks like he might’ve gotten ahold of a hair tie
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He is vaccinated
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What can I give him to help him get the rest out of his system

Oh gosh, ok.

Has he just vomited part of it?

Or do you think there could be more?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think there could be more
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I gave him some paste to help his stomach because I thought he could be nauseous and then shortly after he threw up again and a small piece came up.

Ok, thank you.

And do you think he would have eaten these within the last few hours or over the last few days or weeks?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m not sure. He started acting off a couple days ago but we’ve been having accommodation issues and he gets anxiety and stressed very easily so I thought it was that. If I can give him something from home that would be great.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He’s drinking water and urinating as usual but I can tell he doesn’t feel the best. But he is purring. And follows me around and is alert.

Thank you, ***** ***** with me as I type my reply.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He just won’t eat and I’m sure it’s because he’s probably nauseous from the hair tie possibly or it could stem from him being anxious as well. He doesn’t like change and we’ve had a lot over the last month with moving airbnbs and not having a secure home for a whole month. So I bought a couple different wet foods as well because we haven’t found one that he totally agrees with with moving to Ireland.

I'm sorry Newt has these signs and know how concerned you must be.

The fact he has brought up only a small piece of a hair tie and you are concerned there could be more is a real concern to me.

Unfortunately, this type of foreign body is very dangerous to a cat as it can cause the intestines to 'bunch' and could even lead to intestinal perforation.

The fact he won't eat makes it more likely he does have a problem here.

If there is a real chance of him having a hair tie inside, he does need to see a vet urgently and there is no safe treatment we can provide from home.

The vet can check for obstruction and he may need a surgery to deal with it if present. The longer we wait when a blockage is present, the higher the risk of the animal passing away.

While there is a chance he is nauseous and does not have an obstruction, we need to have this looked into ASAP.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay. I’ll have to find a vet that is open tomorrow then. Thank you.

If it is an option at all, it would be best for him to be seen as an emergency, in case there is currently a blockage and the blood supply to the gut is compromised or he has an infection.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve already looked and none are open and the one I found has a long wait and said they’d call me when they could see him.

To confirm, they are going to call back tonight?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They said they’d call when they had an opening. I don’t know how soon that will be

Sure thing.

If you send me your postcode I can send you a list of open clinics in your area.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If there’s anything I can do in the meantime please let me know otherwise thank you for your help. But knowing I need to get him to a vet is now adding to my already high stress and anxiety. So if there’s nothing else you can assist with I’ll leave it at this.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve already looked and called. Thanks.

I understand.

From home, we can offer regular water drinks and, if you have any, a rehydration solution for cats like Oralade or Lectade.

If he can hold it down, offer small and bland spoons of food (such as boiled chicken and rice) little and often.

Ensure he stays inside and monitor for any new signs such as trouble passing poo, a bloated tummy or lethargy.

Hopefully we can have him seen very soon and do let me know if there is anything else.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where can I find Orlando or lectade
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oralade

These are pet rehydration solutions you can get from pet shops, vet receptions and online.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thanks.