Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She is in heat but I'm worried about her cleaning she is

Customer Question

She is in heat but I'm worried about her cleaning she is forever cleaning down there and I'm worried she'll make herself sore. Also around the area it's got dark brownish stains.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the sore? Has the cat been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: She's not got a sore but I'm worried she will with all the nstant licking. It's the staining I'm worried about gas I've been told cats don't bleed while in heat. Maybe tiny but this is similar in appearance to when a women is at the end if her cycle and the blood becomes darker
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sjy Sky she's 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's quite overweight and I'm having difficulty getting her to lose it. She shouldn't be as big as she is. She's also an indoor cat.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm getting her stated next month hopefully. She isn't too old is she? Or too overweight to gave the procedure
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry spayed
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh and thus time round she's scooting along on her behind. Like when animals have worms. There are no worms I've checked her bottom end and she regulary wormed every month.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry I keep thinking of things while I'm waiting. I hope it's ok.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello I've been waiting hours for a response now and was told initially 8mins
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda , a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Sky.
When was her last season prior to this?
Is she lethargic, panting, bloated or drinking more?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Roughly 3mths ago, I think. No none of the above. She is overweight so it's difficult to tell whether bloating or just her weight. The thing with Sky is she's quite a small cat with short legs, she looks a little like a munchkin so she might be less overweight than presumed, to be honest I doubt it though, she definitely needs to lose weight. I can't seem to get it to go. She's not overfed, only has a few treats a day the 2cal ones, she has 10 over the day split into two parts. It really worries me though her bottom end. She won't stop licking but she's still not clean. Its a stain that goes from under her tail around her bottom and vaginal area, with a little just below that. Its not thickly plied on just a dark, brownish stain. Only there during her seasons. However, this time its really irritating her so much she is constantly licking. She will start to walk then flop down and immediately start licking, shes even started scooting like the video clips you see of dogs dragging their bottoms across the ground. Shes wormed every month, i did still check to see if any worms, eggs or mites might be around that area but couldnt see anything. Sorry so much writing I didn't want to miss anything so I could give you a good description.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry unable to call, I suffer with social anxiety and my son isn't around to make the call for me

Thank you for all of this information, it very helpful.

You are correct that cats should not bleed when in season and this is very abnormal.

We would wonder about:

• A uterus infection
  • An anal gland infection
  • Colitis (an inflamed lower gut)
  • A rectal polyp
  • Etc.

Given her signs, I'd advise an urgent vet visit today.

They will examine her and may analyse the discharge.

Her treatment will depend on what is going on. She may need e.g. fluids, antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

If she does have a uterine infection, the vet is likely to advise an immediate spay surgery, to remove the infection.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. Thank you so much. I'll make an appointment.

Not at all, my pleasure.

Do you have any further questions today?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.