Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Hard stoolscoveredinhair, elderlycat, months, in to garden

Customer Question

hard stoolscoveredinhair
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: elderlycat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: months
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: in to garden no medication
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: about 19
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for your cat.
Does she pass the stool daily with no issue?
Is she off her food or losing weight?

Hi there, could you see my reply?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.

It looks like you may be offline. Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

I'm sorry your cat has been passing hard stools covered in fur.

If ingesting a lot of fur, this can cause issues within the gut and even an obstruction.

We can minimise fur ingestion by grooming twice daily with a brush such as a Furminator.

We should also give a paste such as Katalax to prevent hair balls.

To soften stool, ensure she is drinking lots and offer wet food. We can add food to meals and use a cat water fountain. We could also add a teaspoon of olive oil to meals if it does not cause a stomach upset.

At her age, regular checks are crucial, to ensure we are not missing any medical issues. If she has not been checked in the last few months, this is important.

Any further questions are welcomed.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.