Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat has a larvae or warble that I can see on the edge of

Customer Question

Hi. My cat has a larvae or warble that I can see on the edge of his ear can you help with advice.
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jasper 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Jasper?
Customer: I thought it may be a horse bite which I bathed in otodine last week but tonight I spotted this maggot type creature on the same ear but different spot.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?

Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?

Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi. I’m at an emergency vets now and being seen too. It looks like it is puss from an infection and not a maggot. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for letting me know and I wish you the best with your visit. If you have any other questions let me know also. Have a good evening. Dr. Mike.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok huge thank you.

In the event comes home with issues on the skin or develops skin issues/need to clean the area off will discuss this next for your review too.

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.

1.Miconahex Plus Spray

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also. This is just one brand example too look for. Most important look for chlorhexidine as the active ingredient with other brands too.

2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.

These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores, the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.

Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.

If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.

The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
  2. Duoxo pyo spray
  3. Duoxo pyo pads

4. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Jasper  today. I wish Jasper a speedy recovery and have great day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.