Dr Megan
Dr Megan, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110745586

He is limping. When inspecting the paw I can not see any

Customer Question

He is limping. When inspecting the paw I can not see any form of foreign object. He has black paws which makes it tricky to see. The pad seems slightly swollen and maybe a little cracked. He only seems to make a fuss when you touch the pad. The rest of the paw he's fine for you to touch.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cat
JA: When did you first notice this swelling? Does the cat lick the skin as well?
Customer: Sunday we first noticed. He improved yesterday but is limping again today. He does lack a little but not much. He flicks his paw a little.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Twilight and he is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 14 days ago.
Hello, I am Dr Megan and I will be helping you today. I am sorry to hear that Twilight has a sore paw. 

• Does he go outside or indoors only?
  • Can he bear weight on this leg ok?
  • Is he eating ok?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is eating fine. He's spends alot of time outdoors and has climbed trees even with the limp. It looks like he is using the tip of the paw to walk on rather than the pad. He has even managed to run. Yes it appears he can bear weight on it.
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for all the information. His foot pad pain may be coming from a bruised foot pad, cracking or a puncture of the pad (which like you said could be difficult to see).

I would advise;

1. If he will let you do this. Clean the the pad with saline (add 1 teaspoon of salt to 250ml COOLED BOILED water)  and dunk the pad into the solution or use a clean cloth to hold it over the pad for a few minutes.Daily for three days.  To reduce inflammation. Do not put yourself at risk of scratched if he resists.

2. If he is licking his foot pad he is likely to make this worse, and introduce infection. A buster collar would be best for a few days IF he is licking the pad.

3. If there is no improvement after three days of bathing the foot then a vet check up would be advised for a full check up and to make sure no infection in the pad.

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 14 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to help further.