Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My three cats are riddled with fleas. Frontline is not

Customer Question

My three cats are riddled with fleas. Frontline is not working. Stronghold worked very well in the past but a prescription is required.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Three cats aged 4 years to ten years. All three are 3.5-3.7 kg, healthy, no allergies.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Thumbs, Cadu, Brennig
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thumb & Cadu: female. Brennig: male. All neutured.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern; what a frustration.

Oftentimes, the main issue will be the flea burden in the home.

95% of the flea burden live off the cats and in their home.

Have you treated the environment?

If so, which product has been used?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Nuvan Staykill and scrupulous vacuuming. I can tell that I've managed to get on top of it because I'm not being bitten on the ankles - but the cats are really struggling.
Thank you, ok.It is possible that the fleas are becoming to the active ingredient (Fipronil) in the Frontline.
I'd suggest using a product with a different active ingredient.Over the counter, you should try Advantage spot on, which contains Imidacloprid. In my experience it is as effective as Stronghold.We must treat all cats on the same day and keep them dry for 2 days after.

Is this all ok?

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Not at all and please let me know if there is anything else.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.