Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’m just wondering what is going on with my cat, I’m worried

Customer Question

Hi I’m just wondering what is going on with my cat, I’m worried because he hasn’t been the same with me for a month or so now. Like he goes in a separate toom room to me etc. loose appetite and I’m unsure what to do
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: oero and 1 year and 2 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Oero?
Customer: Not as I know off. He doesn’t respond to his name he just staring at me and not coming
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Oreo.

Has he been neutered?

Does he go outside?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He has been neutered and no he is indoor cat the reason why is because live on upstairs flat and frightened if anything bad happens to him

Understood, sure.

Is he eating, drinking and passing normal poo and pee?

Is he the only pet?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hit and miss with food sometime he is eating more dry food than wet. Drinking more than usual normal bowel movement and urine
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeh he is the only pet

Thank you, ok.

Did he have his annual health check at 12 months old and was all ok?

Is he currently a healthy weight?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Answering to your previous question about going out doors he does go on my balcony but soon as cars motorbikes racing he runs back in also tried him on lead which is the same result.Regarding the annual health check. I did take him last week to have his nails cut which they checked him over and they said seems okay. He weighing 7kg

So 7kg is very large if he is a typical domestic short hair.

The average cat weighs 4kg.

Is he a large breed like a Maine Coon or is he obese?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They did say he is going to be a big cat but he isn’t overweight or anything

Ok, thank you.

This is important as if a cat is overweight, they will be lethargic and will be less active and may be depressed.

Have you noticed any other signs such as fast breathing, bad breath, limping or bloating?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He gets out of breath if I play with him with his lace.. so I don’t do it as often and no limping or bloating he seems to sleep a lot and like round this time he seems to come out of his shell

When you say he gets out of breath, does he breathe with his mouth open?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeah panting but it’s not continuously

Ok, understood.

Before typing my reply is there anything else I should know?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not really I don’t think

Sure thing.

Please bear with me as I type my reply.

I'm sorry this has been going on and understand why you will be worried for him.

It is very worrying to me that he can pant, as this is not normal in young, healthy cats and can be indicative of an underlying health issue. This is especially true if it occurs after minimal exercise.

As I say, 7kg is really very heavy for such a young cat unless they are a giant breed, so I would want to confirm with the vet he does not need to lose weight.

Once confirmed, we need to look into this panting which could point towards e.g. heart disease, lung disease or joint disease. If there is an underlying problem, this is likely the cause of his behaviour change.

As well as a physical exam, the vet may perform some tests such as a chest x-ray or heart scan if concerned.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok will ring the vets in morning and see what’s going on

Ok, perfect.

Please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you have,

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.