Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is a squirrel dangerous ro my female cat who is chasing the

Customer Question

is a squirrel dangerous ro my young female cat who is chasing the squirrel in the garden?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the cat was acting this way? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: just noticed it today
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with this behavior?
Customer: is it a dangerous situation for the cat please?
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mimi female cat14 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: all is well otherwise
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 5 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Mimi.

In reality, outdoor cats do engage in slightly 'risky' behaviour which includes chasing vermin and birds.

Are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
in london. all i need to know is it a deanger to my cat or perhaps not?

Sure thing, please bear with me.

Here in the UK, there is no risk of Rabies, which can be a concern in other parts of the world.

Risks are minimal and many cats will never catch a squirrel.

If Mimi does, she is at risk of getting a small bite or scratch.

While most cats I know chase squirrels, I have only treated a handful for squirrel bites in the last 10 years; squirrels climb fast!

If this were to occur, it would just mean a trip to the vet for a check over and some antibiotics.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for the answer, but I say it could have been delivered without all additional questions in my opinion
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 4 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.