Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He pees out of his litterbox when we are out the house, he

Customer Question

He pees out of his litterbox when we are out the house
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: he has been doing it for a year. Whenever we leave him alone in the house he pees on the kitchen worktops or the floor etc..
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with this behavior?
Customer: We have tried calming plug in pheromone diffuser
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: kiba and he’s 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kiba?
Customer: he is generally very well behaved and friendly. He only does this when we leave the house. We also got him just before lockdown so he is used to having us around.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Kiba.

Is he the only pet in the home?

Have you ever had his urine analysed?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
he is the only cat. We have taken him to the vet but not had his urine tested.

Thank you, ok.

Did the vet examine him and feel his bladder for any discomfort?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
he said physically he seemed fine

Sure thing, ok.

How often does this happen?

Is he a nervous cat in general?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He is not nervous at all around people. It happens pretty much every time we leave him at home alone for more than a few hours.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Which happens a few days a week whilst we are at work
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He never does this whilst we are here
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But we do let him out when we are here as we don’t have cat flap

Thank you, ***** *****

I am just typing my reply.

I'm sorry you have been dealing with this with Kiba and know you will be very concerned for him.

From the details given, it does sound possible that this is linked to separation anxiety and a dislike of being left alone, especially as it is something he was not used to when younger.

Urinating outside of the tray can be a sign of stress and he may have some underlying bladder inflammation (cystitis) triggered by his separation anxiety.

As not yet done, I'd recommend a vet check focusing on this issue that includes a urine analysis. If he does have some urinary crystals, a grumbling infection or a sterile cystitis, we won't get on top of the issue until we address this. Some cats will need e.g. a prescription diet, bladder supplements and/or anti inflammatories.

In the home, things that can help would include:

• Starting some daily calming supplements
  • Ensuring he always has access to 2 clean litter trays
  • Building confidence with lots of games and mini training sessions
  • Cleaning any stains promptly with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent re-soiling

If possible, I would allow him out while you are out. This should hugely help to eliminate the issue. If you can, I'd install a cat flap with a microchip reader.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you for your advice. We do use the enzymatic cleaner which doesn’t seem to work and we did give him calming supplements (yucalm) and a calming collar. We do let him out if the weather is good but if it is raining we keep him inside.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can you give details on calming games?

Understood, sure.

It can help for him to have the option even when raining as most cats would choose to go out rather than urinate indoors if given the choice.

When I say games, it is really anything that uses up his energy and reduces stress levels.This means things like laser chasing, wind up mouse chasing, finding treats under boxes, catnip etc.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok great is there anything else we do before we end the conversation?

Do you have any further questions?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.