Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is currently on meloxaid which I started today, due

Customer Question

My cat is currently on meloxaid which I started today , due to urine infection , the vet came out yesterday to check her over as she was crying in pain gave her an injection and then told me to start her medication today which I have , she was sick late this morning and just now again tonight and is still crying in pain on and off . Is there anything else I can do to relieve her pain
JA: The Expert will know how to best address the infection. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** the vet said she's no older than 10 years , we've had her four years ,she came to us as a stray , the vet told us she's chipped but not registered on the data base and gave me her chip number and said for me to register her to us which I'll be doing soon
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Minnie?
Customer: No apart from her urine infection the vet said she was OK otherwise as they checked her out
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Minnie.

It would be unusual for a urine infection to cause so much pain and, for most, Meloxaid should provide sufficient pain relief.

Has the vet run any tests such as a bladder scan to ensure there is not more going on?

Is she able to pass a normal stream of urine?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No she's having problems urinating plus she's not drinking water or eating much , she just keeps crying in pain the vet said they gave her a check over

I'm sorry to hear this.

When did she last pass a normal stream of urine?

Did the vet scan her bladder to check for stones or a mass?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the vet said she checked and couldn't see a blockage , I don't know what to do

To confirm, the vet did scan her?

When did she last pass a normal full stream?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm assuming she did , when the vet said she checked minnie over

Thank you, understood.

I would not assume this as it would not be routine. Typically if the vet did, they would have discussed it with you and let it know. You should also have a report.

A scan costs several hundred pounds.

I'd also want to know her kidney function has been checked with a blood test, in case of a kidney infection.

If it has not been done, this is the next step as I am concerned there is more going on such as a bladder mass or stones. We need to check her kidneys, bladder and urinary tubes.

If it has been done, we need to determine why she is in so much pain as this is not expected.

I'd request additional pain relief such as Tramadol and Gabapentin.

I'd also advise an urgent re-check to ensure she can physically pass urine and her bladder is not full.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Granted I administered her first dose of medicine at 5pm today ,so maybe it needs time to kick in , the vet told me to give minnie her medicine daily so tomorrow she'll have her second dose

No, this medicine should work in about one hour.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK thank you do much for your advice I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow morning and get them to give her a througher check thank you

Not at all.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi no thank you, ***** ***** advice I've arranged for a animal ambulance to come pick me and minnie up going to the vets in gateshead who are waiting for us ,so am just waiting for the ambulance to take us there now .
Again so glad and grateful for your advice you've been a great help

Ok, that is excellent and wishing you both all the very best.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.