Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My grand voyager 2.8 d overheats when driving. Has had a new

Customer Question

My grand voyager 2.8 d overheats when driving . Has had a new stat and water pump , no water leek but water is going somewhere . Please help me.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

I gather that it still looses coolant..if so by how much?

What testing have you had done upto this point before the thermostat and water pump was replaced?

How quickly does it overheat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ok on tick over but when driving it overheats when driving at 45-55 mph about 20-35 mins . Fans cut in and out ok fan relays all good . Compression test ok on all 4pots pressure in water tank sniffer test inconclusive
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Ok... Have you done a coolant system pressure test though..that will determine if the system is loosing pressure or not.its needs to hold for upto 15min..any drop on the guage within that time will verfiy a leak.it could be if as you saying water going somewhere might highlight that if a leak that produces itself under hot engine conditions...if the sniffer test,fluid hasnt turned green then the headgasket should be fine and not leaking into the coolant system...asuming you have bled the system properly and the heater matrix bled..it maybe that you have partically blocked radiator.you could back flush it with a garden hose or pressure washer and see if that helps