jeep10000
jeep10000,
Experience:  dasdasd
12365498

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler tj 4ltr. My problem is the skim

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler tj 4ltr. My problem is the skim security in the ecu is not accepting the transponder key so starts for 2 secs and then cuts out. After 5 attempts it completely locks me out and won't turn the engine over. If I disconect the battery overnite it will start and run but when I turn the engine off and try to restart I'm back to square one. I know the system cannot be bypassed so can you advise please. I have contacted main jeep dealers but they have no idea. Thanks Niall
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  jeep10000 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This has to be a SKIM module that is locking up after a start and shutdown. If no one has tried a new SKIM module, then have the module replaced and programmed to the key(s). I am pretty confident this will fix it.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Slim module .... Is this what is around the key barrel ? Will the new skim module not have to be programmed to the ECU/PCM ?

Yes that is the module with the ring around the key lock cylinder/barrel. The new SKIM will need to be programmed to the PCM, and then the keys programmed to the new SKIM module.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you in the UK or USA ? If UK can you direct me to a garage with a DRB II/III scan tool who can do the calibrations ect ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As I can't find anywhere !

I am in the U S . Can you find a locksmith that maybe have a generic scan tool that will do it?

Chris