Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have owned a 2005 Voyager 2.8 crd xs for 17 years and has

Customer Question

Hello, I have owned a 2005 Voyager 2.8 crd xs for 17 years and has a fault that no one has been able to fix. This includes local Chrysler main dealer. specialist electronics firm (motor One) and numerous garages. The fault is as follows. When the ambient temperature gets above 28 degrees centigrade, the vehicle becomes possessed. A chime bleeps, the accelerator speeds up and starts jerking, and the auto gears become erratic. Lately it is getting worse if I get caught in heavy traffic. It doesn't read on the computer codes, and this summer I removed the main computer and sent it away for testing. It came back as being without fault. It is a heat sensor somewhere, but no one knows where to look. If you can advise I would be eternally grateful. We love the car and hope to keep it forever. Thank you. Chris
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I would inspect the engine wiring harness leading to the computer and on the engine for any issues.If any wiring is found to be damaged or shorted the affected wiring will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.Heat can also affect corroded or shorted wiring as well as can create high resistance in the wiring which can cause this fault here.If this was already checked let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Peter, Unfortunately I have had this problem since first had the car in 2006. Originally the main Chrysler dealer suggested changing every sensor component at a cost of £2600, which was a bit pricey for a car just over 12months old. Also they were unable to guarantee the result. I am an electrical engineer and quite competent with electrics. I was hoping that this might be a common fault with other Voyagers. So that's where I am at present.......... Chris

Your welcome Chris

I haven't seen this issue commonly myself on this model here.It does sound like you have an electrical fault occurring and the engine computer was my first guess but if it was checked into and found to be o.k. the next thing to check is for any wiring issues.If there are any wiring issues at all this can also cause this fault.The other cause I have seen on some models that cause odd electrical issues like this here is a loose or corroded ground.I would have the engine or battery ground checked over to see if any grounds are found to be loose, corroded or damaged causing this fault needing repaired or replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete