sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Firstly, apologies for the post but I felt there was a bit

Customer Question

Hi There,Firstly, apologies for the long post but I felt there was a bit of history that may help.The car is a 2005 Grand Voyager 3.3 ltr V6 Petrol - 'Stow & Go'.This problem started some time ago when I noticed the heater had gone cold. I knew from experience that when the water is low the heater blows cold (had a leaking radiator). I didn’t check the water level immediately but then noticed the temp gauge went up. Topped up the water; problem went….. so I thought.The same problem returned a number of weeks later (I can’t remember how long in between) i.e. the heater going cold and I topped up the water. This happened for a number of months without any change in the pattern.I had the car serviced in March 2018 and not long after it came back the orange engine light came on. I checked this out with an OBD II widget plus App. Fault P0301- Engine misfire on cylinder one. I cleared the fault but it comes back.In October I had the temp go up sharply to the Red Zone. I was able to pull straight into a garage, fill up with water, buy 6 liters of spring water and I made the 20-minute journey home. Further investigation showed that the rusting pipes of the oil cooler had developed a hole or two. I repaired this by bypassing the oil cooler with a purposed made piece of copper pipe.Over the last four to six weeks the car has definitely developed a misfire under load conditions and occasionally ‘hunts’ at tick-over.When cold, the misfire is accompanied by a 'popping' noise coming from the driver’s side of the engine bay (same side as No.1 cylinder and the radiator cap). When warm, the misfire jolts the car into a ‘rough road kind of judder’.Drove to Liverpool on 27th; 5 people on board; 404-mile round trip getting 28.8 mpg. On the flat purring, underload juddering.Recently I have changed the plug and the HT leads.The car has done approx. 155k troublish-free miles.My gut feeling is the head gasket is going/has gone or worse case, there is a crack in the block or head.Has anyone else experienced these symptoms and did the problem turn out to be the head gasket?Kind regardsAustin
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, could you please tell me the mielage of your car also do you have any lost of power while driving?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sebastian, mileage is 155k and never completely lost power.Cheers Austin

Dear customer, I understand your problem. The first thing that I think it would be useful to inform you is that the engines and the cylinder heads of your model Grand Voyager Xeon have a very delicate aluminum alloy, what happens is that aluminum does not withstand high temperatures so any overheating can cause damage to it, more in the cylinder heads .
The first thing I noticed and that I should recommend you is to do a coolant leakage check, there are tools like pumps which are installed in the cooling system either by the radiator or the collector, and air is applied in the system to increase the pressure then it’s observed if this pressure decreases, if so we are in the presence of a leak which we can locate visually.
The problem its dear customer that the leaks cause overheating, there are other aspects that should be rule out, for example the radiator cap must have the proper pressure these caps are designed to withstand certain pressures, when these cover wear they cause leakage of coolant through steam.
Problems in the coolant pump also cause coolant circulation problems, which causes an increase in the temperature.
These aspects are those that we must discard first, now I am concerned is that it if you observe a damage in the engine and is reflected in the ignition, indeed the cylinder head could have been damaged or it could have some defect. These vibrations are already flaws in the ignition and may be symptoms of these defects or damage, but not necessarily must be so, many times It is simply the cylinder head that suffers the defects and the only thing we have to do is to carry a stock check to see if it was rippled or bent, then go through a process of brushing to be able to get the stock again and a new packaging is installed, with this is more likely that your problem will disappear in case it is a problem in the cylinder heads .
Dear customer, I would also like to know if you have white smoke in the exhaust to determine if the vehicle is consuming coolant or water?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi There,Unfortunately, there are none of the obvious signs (unless I'm missing them). No oil in the water, no water in the oil, no emulsified deposits in either the radiator or the oil filler cap.When I do a 'cold tin lid' test there is a very small amount of condensation on it but nothing unusual (Petrol and diesel are hydrocarbons. When these fuels burn, the carbon and hydrogen atoms combine with oxygen atoms to produce carbon dioxide and water vapour).Cheers Austin

Hello Mr Austin, mi apologies for the long delay and my best wishes for the new year.
Now about your car, perform an oil replacement and verify the old oil does not smell burnt.

Replace all the coolant and check if there is any the leaks as recommended to verify that there is no problem.

Check the compression on all the cylinders to verify that you have none with a failure, all the cylinder should have the same compression.

Remove the valve cover and verify on the top that the valves are correct, that it does not smell burned and it does not have any rocker or defective bolt.

If everything is correct Dear customer, I am worried that you will have to check the cylinder head and to do this you have to disassemble the engine unfortunately.

Have you understood my recommendation, Mr Austin?